Hi there 2 days ago I got my Snow Leopard DVD – yeah. After making a full backup (time machine) of my system I started the simple update process. I just deselected some unused languages and let the system do the rest. After 20-30 minutes the Installation was aborted by a failure which was not described in detail. Afterwards I checked the file system and found a not repairable filesystem error. I rebooted the system, made some filesystem checks using the harddrive utility program and after an additional attempt of updating I did it and everything was working fine. If anybody has accounted the same problem and knows details, please post a comment here.
After recognizing some issues with laggy application response and slow input fields and keyboard entries on the iPhone 3G after the update to 3.0 I did a little of googling around if there are any news, rumors or solutions on that. What I found surprised a little bit. It seems so that Apple is aware of memory leakage within the new OS 3.0 release of the iPhone and tell the user to do a hard reset or a reboot once a day or when the phone starts to get laggy because the working memory fills up after starting and stopping numerous application. I also tried this and this did the trick, but this is not a solution for me. So I read a few threads even on the apple forum, where people were complaining and hoping that there will be done something about this. The thing I did so funny it sounds, I filed a feedback at http://www.apple.com/feedback/ That’s the minimum I can do. You can do that also and maybe Apple reacts on that by fixing the bugs (because these are obvious bugs) when there are filed enough feedback surveys on their page according to this problem. Describe you problems in detail, to help them track the bug down, it’s for your own good. Downgrade to 2.2.1 is not an option for me because Apple braged in their advertisements that the OS 3.0 is soooo fast and so straight forward and so on…., so let’s fix them the bugs, file the feedback at the above mentioned link.
Hi out there! I was waiting all day here in Austria for Apple to release the new iPhone OS 3.0. 30 Minutes ago iTunes told me that there is a new version for my iPhone 3G available. After downloading the 230 MB of the new image iTunes started to actualize the phone. 15 minutes later and one message „unplug the phone, enter sim pin code and reconnect“ later my iPhone was flawlessly running with the new OS. Congratulations Apple. No painpoints there after the upgrade. No errors, all applications are there, all videos all songs, everything perfectly like it was before. First impressions in using the phone did not give me any lacks in responsiveness of the phone or any slowdowns I would have expected like there have been on the iPhone first generation and the OS version 2.0 Update. The new spotlight feature is very usable and the only app where the reaction of the phone (screen) gets a little dogged. I also synchronized to check out if everything works fine and here also everything as we expect it from Apple. So as a final statement after a few minutes of testing around: Congratulations, you did a great job so far as I can judge from here and now.
Add On 2009-06-18
Today I detected that the update erased the settings of the mobile data network settings for UMTS (3G). You have to set the properties new, details for what to set there you can get at your providers homepage! For A1 in Austria, see images below or settings here or directly at A1 homepage.
If you want to enter the information manually see images below or this list:
- APN: free.a1.net
- username: firstname.lastname@example.org
- password: ppp
- MMSC: mmsc.A1.net (OHNE http:// !)
- MMS-Proxy: 188.8.131.52:8001
(leave the last two fields empty). After having done these changes, restart your iPhone. To get your mobile provider data using profiles which is also possible to use with not jailbreaked iPhones use this site here. After making all these settings and rebooting the iPhone MMS Button in Messages Application and MMS send possiblity in VoiceNote app where present and working.
(general settings for mobile data screen)
(MMS specific settings for A1)
Sollte es zu der obigen Fehlermeldung kommen so ist das meist nur bei eingeschränkten Benutzerkonten unter Windows XP oder Vista der Fall. Da diese Meldung ziemlich nervt habe ich gegoogelt und das hier gefunden.